If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (602) 507-6163

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How Restaurants End Up with Mold Issues

12/9/2020 (Permalink)

A slow leak from the ice maker supply line, refrigerator, or sink are just a few ways a restaurant can end up with mold. It is important to check your water lines regularly to make sure there are no leaks and to avoid serious damage. Here’s how to keep your restaurant from experiencing mold.

Check your water lines often

Unless there is visible water showing on the floor, many restaurants don’t consistently check their water lines for leaks, but that can be a mistake. While water leaking may not be enough to become visible on the floor, even the smallest leaks can lead to a wet wall which can easily breed mold. Left unattended, this can turn into a real issue. Since most water lines are out of sight and therefore out of mind, it’s a good idea to add this quick check to your monthly maintenance duties to avoid a bigger issue.

Refrigerator leaks

Like other water lines, those in your refrigerator can be leaking slowly without causing any suspicion. A common culprit is the ice maker. Since these leaks are hard to detect, especially underneath or behind a large commercial refrigerator, knowing the telltale signs to look for can help nip a small mold problem in the bud before it becomes substantial. Check for the appearance of black spots on the ground or walls near or behind the refrigerator, which could be a sign that mold is beginning to grow. Also be aware of any change in odor in or near the fridge, especially if that smell is musty. That can also indicate a mold problem is present. If the odor is substantial even after the mold growth is addressed, odor removal may be needed by a professional.

Check for water leaks from sinks

Sinks in restaurants can be a bit easier to keep an eye on and notice if there is any presence of mold growth. Even if there isn’t an actual leak, an unattended filling sink can overflow and if the water isn’t completely addressed, seepage into the nearby drywall can remain wet and eventually harbor mold growth. Keeping an eye on sinks and thoroughly cleaning up any overflows can help abate a mold issue.

Why mold can so easily grow in restaurants

There are a lot of items in a restaurant that could slowly leak water. With no one person responsible for monitoring for issues like mold growth, mold can quickly get out of hand. It’s important to also realize that mold spores are already present in any restaurant, any building or house. In fact, microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors, and outdoors, so removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. However, if mold growth becomes an issue, mold remediation can help address the situation.

Water damage can increase mold growth within 72 hours given proper conditions. The quicker professionals can respond the greater the chance they can effectively address the issue from getting any worse.

Our highly trained team of professionals are ready to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We strive to always be up to date on the newest training and techniques as well as CDC guidelines. If your business has a fire, water, mold, asbestos, biohazard, or COVID disaster, give SERVPRO of East Phoenix a call at (602) 507-6163.

Other News

View Recent Posts